- This event has passed.
Acoustics, Technology, and Lighting – The Impact of COVID-19
June 2 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
*CE Credit Pending*
Registration is REQUIRED by June 2 at 10 AM: event website found in “Details” below.
Presented by Steven J. Thorburn with Thorburn Associates
This session will review the impact COVID-19 will have on building design and systems as it relates to acoustics, technology, and lighting design. Acoustically, the workplace will require redesigning. The current high-density hoteling of workers will not be accepted in the future due to social distancing. This will impact office acoustics as well as noise levels within restaurants.
Over the last 3 months, the A/E industry has found that most of us can work from a laptop and if we have a high-speed connection, can work from home. We have been remotely doing that at client meetings and job sites for years. It is the actual production work that is more efficient on larger and multiple monitors that will create the challenge.
Huddle rooms will be expanded in our designs – how do we make sure we can fit out these spaces for easy collaboration?
There will be increased requirements for hands-free gesturing at public touch screens and digital signage.
Finally lighting – Can UV lighting help sanitize the environments we travel though.
This interactive session will address these questions and any others the participants bring up.
- Participants will explain how designing a building for social distancing can impact speech privacy and speech intelligibility
- Participants will describe why the finish materials that affect the buildup of sound within a space can reduce speech intelligibility
- Participants will demonstrate best communications practices while participating in video calls and why the physical design and finishes of the room are so critical
- Participants will identify the critical design elements of wall and floor/ceiling systems and technology components required for collaboration/huddle/zoom rooms
- Participants will describe the types of UV light and their impact on pathogens and the human body