- This event has passed.
The Climate Imperative – AIA’s Urgent Move Towards Environmental Stewardship
April 22, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Unequaled in AIA’s 162 year history, The Big Move for Environmental Sustainability resolution passed at the 2019 annual business meeting represents a “dramatic and unprecedented change in focus.” In conjunction with what the AIA has informally nicknamed the Big Move Toward Environmental Stewardship, the resolution marks a bold step forward in positioning the architectural profession as key leaders for climate action. It outlines three key areas: declare an urgent climate imperative for carbon reduction; transform the day-to-day practice of architects to achieve a zero-carbon, equitable, resilient and healthy built environment; and leverage support of peers, clients, policy makers, and the public at large.
While sustainability is a complex subject, even for those whose expertise brings them neck deep in it, AIANC has prepared a program which provides the context and describes the transformation that is necessary for architects to take a leadership role in addressing the Climate Imperative. The Climate Action Plan reiterates our commitment to designing a sustainable, healthy and equitable world.
Webinar will be presented by Richard Alsop, Jr. AIA, AIA North Carolina Director of Advocacy.
- Overview of the scope of the Climate Crisis, the impact already evident and the risks it poses in the immediate future to all of our living systems including the way we design and construct buildings to combat further impact on our environment.
- Review of the recently released US Federal Government Climate Report called “The National Climate Assessment of Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States” and how it parallels the AIA program and how it affects current building codes and energy codes across North Carolina and the United States.
- A detailed look at AIA’s program on “The Big Move Toward Environmental Sustainability” This includes a review of the Committee on the Environment’s (COTE) Framework for Design Excellence and tools for architects to use for their projects in support of the resolution on climate.
- Review of programs, codes, and tools to support architects as they adapt their professional practices to the ever-evolving challenges posed by Climate Change.
- April 22, 2020
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Event Category:
- AIA North Carolina
- Event Tags:
- AIA North Carolina, AIA Winston-Salem, AIANC, AIAWS, architecture, climate, continuing education, Educational Event, environment, North Carolina, stewardship, sustainability, sustainable, webinar
- AIA North Carolina
- (919) 833-6656
December 5 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm